Re: Is C++ really used ?

Kim Knuttila <krk@cygnus.com>
4 May 1997 00:21:35 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Is C++ really used ? pjmlp@students.si.fct.unl.pt (1997-04-22)
Re: Is C++ really used ? chase@world.std.com (David Chase) (1997-04-22)
Re: Is C++ really used ? jacobs@darwin.cwru.edu (Kevin Jacobs) (1997-04-30)
Re: Is C++ really used ? salomon@silver.cs.umanitoba.ca (1997-05-04)
Re: Is C++ really used ? krk@cygnus.com (Kim Knuttila) (1997-05-04)
Re: Is C++ really used ? jlilley@empathy.com (John Lilley) (1997-05-04)
Re: Is C++ really used ? dwight@pentasoft.com (1997-05-04)
Re: Is C++ really used ? cdg@nullstone.com (Christopher Glaeser) (1997-05-04)
Is C++ really used ? peter@bj-ig.de (Peter Brueckner) (1997-05-04)
Re: Is C++ really used ? danwang@nordica.CS.Princeton.EDU (1997-05-07)
Re: Is C++ really used ? kbreinho@bsquare.com (Keith L. Breinholt) (1997-05-08)

From: Kim Knuttila <krk@cygnus.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 4 May 1997 00:21:35 -0400

> Paulo Jose Pinto - LEI wrote:
>
> > The one that gathered my atention is "Modern Compiler Implementation
> > in (Java/C/ML)" and it doesn't favour C++.
> > Is C++ so bad for compilers, after all I'm using it and it seems
> > that everyone else is, so why aren't the books ?

[hopefully not too much context... deleted]

David Chase wrote:
> No doubt some C++ fan will write back to explain how I am all wrong,
> but I am just relating my experience. I've worked on compiler written
> in C, Modula-3, C++, Java, BCPL, and PL/1, and I know what I like.
>
> David
> [It is my impression that it's possible to write good programs in C++,
> but nobody does. -John]

Well... In an earlier life, I worked in a group that built some
compiler parts (a C front end in this case) written in C++ and it
worked extremely well. The resulting program was flexible, and very
efficient. The code written was better than what we were writing
before. But much of that came because the members of the team were of
like mind. Better communication, more discussion of the fundamental
design elements, etc, all contributed to a decent program.

(I'm also aware of a back end project underway at a pretty big company
that is implemented in C++ and the informal reports suggest the same
to me.)

But your milage will vary. It's not the least bit difficult to write a
crummy C++ program.

'Course I work in gcc-land now which is predominantly C based and it
works fine too.
--
Kim Knuttila
Cygnus Solutions