Extending javadoc for C/C++

masticol@scr.siemens.com (Steve Masticola)
3 May 1997 00:48:40 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Extending javadoc for C/C++ masticol@scr.siemens.com (1997-05-03)
Re: Extending javadoc for C/C++ kelley@Phys.Ocean.Dal.Ca (1997-05-08)
Re: Extending javadoc for C/C++ dwight@pentasoft.com (1997-05-08)
Re: Extending javadoc for C/C++ nr@adder.cs.virginia.edu (Norman Ramsey) (1997-05-08)
Re: Extending javadoc for C/C++ richardm@cogs.susx.ac.uk (1997-05-08)
Re: Extending javadoc for C/C++ objsoft@netcom.com (1997-05-08)
Re: Extending javadoc for C/C++ ercs50@tattoo.ed.ac.uk (1997-05-12)

From: masticol@scr.siemens.com (Steve Masticola)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 3 May 1997 00:48:40 -0400

Hi, all,

I've been looking into embedded documentation mechanisms for C/C++,
and have come to a couple of conclusions:

- javadoc is the most widely-accepted mechanism for embedded
documentation in C-like languages.

- The best competitor, Don Knuth's "literate programming" and CWEB
(http://www-cs-faculty.Stanford.EDU/~knuth/books.html) have not taken
off in widespread practice, for whatever reason.*

In any case, is anyone working on extending javadoc to C/C++, and/or
building an extractor that doesn't rely on the Java sandbox? It's not
quite sufficient for languages where not everything is a class.

Thanks,
- Steve Masticola
    Siemens Corporate Research
-=-=-

* My personal belief is that Knuth violated a dictum of software
evangelism: "As far as I'm concerned, if something is so complicated
that you can't explain it in 10 seconds, then it's probably not worth
knowing anyway." ["Calvin's Axiom," from Calvin and Hobbes.]

Most working programmers tend to operate as if Calvin's Axiom was
true. And if you can't hook them in 10 seconds, they assume that
there's no "there" there.