Re: Is C++ really used ?

Kevin Jacobs <jacobs@darwin.cwru.edu>
30 Apr 1997 15:39:15 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Is C++ really used ? pjmlp@students.si.fct.unl.pt (1997-04-22)
Re: Is C++ really used ? chase@world.std.com (David Chase) (1997-04-22)
Re: Is C++ really used ? jacobs@darwin.cwru.edu (Kevin Jacobs) (1997-04-30)
Re: Is C++ really used ? salomon@silver.cs.umanitoba.ca (1997-05-04)
Re: Is C++ really used ? krk@cygnus.com (Kim Knuttila) (1997-05-04)
Re: Is C++ really used ? jlilley@empathy.com (John Lilley) (1997-05-04)
Re: Is C++ really used ? dwight@pentasoft.com (1997-05-04)
Re: Is C++ really used ? cdg@nullstone.com (Christopher Glaeser) (1997-05-04)
Is C++ really used ? peter@bj-ig.de (Peter Brueckner) (1997-05-04)

From: Kevin Jacobs <jacobs@darwin.cwru.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 30 Apr 1997 15:39:15 -0400

Paulo Jose Pinto - LEI <pjmlp@students.si.fct.unl.pt> wrote:
> In the last week I've seen some recent books in compiler
> development and they all seem to agree in one point, using C.
> The one that gathered my atention is "Modern Compiler Implementation
> in (Java/C/ML)" and it doesn't favour C++.
> Is C++ so bad for compilers, after all I'm using it and it seems
> that everyone else is, so why aren't the books ?

The reason why C++ is not in favor with compiler book writers is
simple: most compiler books are written by compiler researchers who
have decided that C++ is a bletcherous hack pretending to be a high
level language. In Andrew Appel's case, his "Modern Compiler
Implementation in Java" hardly uses any object oriented design
features in the compiler implementation. In fact he recommends in
chapter 1 that all programs be written in as close to pure functional
style as possible. I can only assume that his ML bias is showing
through; after all New Jersey ML is his primary compiler research
platform.

My philosophy in any academic subject is to learn the biases of the
research community as well as the preferences of industry and taking
the comfortable middle ground.

-Kevin Jacobs

--
S.A.G.E. Project Technical Coordinator | Department of Epidemiology