Syntax Directed Test Generation

cswart@glacier.analogy.com (Chuck Swart)
22 Apr 1997 21:22:29 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Syntax Directed Test Generation cswart@glacier.analogy.com (1997-04-22)
Re: Syntax Directed Test Generation cef@geodesic.com (Charles Fiterman) (1997-04-30)
Re: Syntax Directed Test Generation riehl@rose.rsoc.rockwell.com (1997-05-03)
Re: Syntax Directed Test Generation matthys@cs.ruu.nl (1997-05-04)
Syntax Directed Test Generation Dave@occl-cam.demon.co.uk (Dave Lloyd) (1997-05-04)
Re: Syntax Directed Test Generation jejones@microware.com (1997-05-08)
Re: Syntax Directed Test Generation markagr@aol.com (1997-05-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: cswart@glacier.analogy.com (Chuck Swart)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 22 Apr 1997 21:22:29 -0400

I am interested in the following problem: Given a grammar in BNF (or
perhaps EBNF) automatically generate a set of test cases which will
cause all productions in the grammar to be used when these test cases
are parsed.

Altthough there are some interesting issues (such as how to deal with
terminals, iterations in EBNF, unreachable productions, and
productions which can't yield terminal strings, etc,) this seems like
a fairly obvious problem which probably has already been investigated.

I would appreciate pointers to work in this area.

Thanks in advance,

Chuck Swart
cswart@analogy.com
[I've seen work on generating test cases, but I don't recall anything that
attempts to provide code coverage of a rule-based parser. -John]