Re: Visual C++/MFC Lex and Yacc (Chris Clark USG)
22 Apr 1997 21:19:52 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Visual C++/MFC Lex and Yacc (JUKKA) (1997-04-18)
Re: Visual C++/MFC Lex and Yacc (1997-04-22)
RE: Visual C++/MFC Lex and Yacc (Rao, Venkateswara (MIS, GEFanuc, NA)) (1997-05-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: (Chris Clark USG)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 22 Apr 1997 21:19:52 -0400

> 1. I tried to convert Bison++ and Flex++ to Visual C++ in WIndows ..
> but it is such a preprosessor code junk .. and I cannot put my
> precompiled headers there without touching the generators .. and would
> not like to do that. Have sombody generators for Windows Visual C++?

To answer the specific request, Yacc++(r) and the Language Ojbects
Library incorporates a solution to that specific problem. The is a
"-microsoft_precompiled_header filename" option (or -mph filename for
short), which prefixes the generated files with a #include "filename"
(where filename defaults to stdafx.h for convenience to Visual C++

> 2. Is there no better tools available today than the old Lex/Yacc,
> Bison/Flex etc. variants?

In my opinion (but I am certainly biased on this part, being one of
the developers) it also answers part 2 since it has regular
expressions, grammar inheritance, a complete object oriented model,
. . . (and looks pretty close to normal yacc to ease the learning
curve). It is however a commercial product and not shareware or
public domain, if that is germane to your decision.

Chris Clark

for information, contact:

Compiler Resources, Inc.
3 Proctor St