Q: controlled mem mgmt in Java

Dmitri Bronnikov <Bronikov@ic.net>
16 Apr 1997 00:23:45 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Q: controlled mem mgmt in Java Bronikov@ic.net (Dmitri Bronnikov) (1997-04-16)
Re: Q: controlled mem mgmt in Java jbuck@Synopsys.COM (1997-04-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Dmitri Bronnikov <Bronikov@ic.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 16 Apr 1997 00:23:45 -0400

Java seem to be very single-minded in regard of memory allocation for
objects. This entails a huge run-time overhead when functions (OK,
methods) have a few local small objects, which I would allocate
directly on stack if I were using C/C++/etc. Java also does not allow
a programmer to use various free-store memory management techniques
for objects. For example, I like to use "arenas".

Today, as various Java machines claim they are closing up on compiled
C/C++ speed, this seem to be important. Programmable memory allocation
may not be possible due to security stuff, but built-in mem managers
are definitely possible. Is anyone working on/aware of any built-in
classes or language extensions coming up to allow controlled memory
management for objects in Java?