Re: UNCOL in the news again (again) (Alex Colvin)
13 Apr 1997 21:43:22 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
UNCOL in the news again (again) (1997-04-07)
Re: UNCOL in the news again (again) (1997-04-08)
Re: UNCOL in the news again (again) (1997-04-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: (Alex Colvin)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 13 Apr 1997 21:43:22 -0400

>Subject: Edupage Editors: Edupage, 6 April 1997
>Computer scientists at companies such as IBM, Microsoft, Sun
>Microsystems and Lucent Technologies are beginning to pursue the
>industry's next great software challenge: universal virtual machines

>[I predict they'll all soon be crying "UNCOL" -Pardo]

You'd think they'd at least mention UNCOL. Is history repeating itself,
this time as farce?

Surely we've made some progress in emulation and binary translation

Fact is, we already have a universal virtual machine in the x86. Any
serious architecture has to be able to emulate this. That includes the
recent work from intel.
Alex Colvin