Re: UNCOL in the news again (again) (Tom Lane)
8 Apr 1997 09:38:59 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
UNCOL in the news again (again) (1997-04-07)
Re: UNCOL in the news again (again) (1997-04-08)
Re: UNCOL in the news again (again) (1997-04-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: (Tom Lane)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 8 Apr 1997 09:38:59 -0400
> single virtual machine capable of running applications written in C++,
> Smalltalk or Java,

> [I predict they'll all soon be crying "UNCOL" -Pardo]

> [Throw in Lisp and Cobol and you'll really have something. -John]

If their definition of "universal" is "it supports C++ and Java", it's
probably doable. The UNCOL advocates of previous decades had much
more ambitious goals than supporting near-workalike languages...

Throwing in Smalltalk makes the problem at least moderately
interesting, but I bet that requirement will get dumped before long.

regards, tom lane
[Even C++ and Java will be difficult due to the rather different storage
models. Look at TDF/ANDF -- as far as I can tell they ground to a halt
before they'd finished adding C++ to the original C. -John]