Re: Textbooks on SQL compilation

derek@knosof.co.uk (Derek M Jones)
6 Apr 1997 22:22:27 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Textbooks on SQL compilation kwatkins@odi.com (Kevin Watkins) (1997-03-27)
Re: Textbooks on SQL compilation Torsten.Grust@uni-konstanz.de (Torsten Grust) (1997-03-31)
Re: Textbooks on SQL compilation root@candle.pha.pa.us (1997-03-31)
Re: Textbooks on SQL compilation edi-c@algonet.se (Kurt Svensson) (1997-04-02)
Re: Textbooks on SQL compilation creedy@mitretek.org (1997-04-03)
Re: Textbooks on SQL compilation derek@knosof.co.uk (1997-04-06)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: derek@knosof.co.uk (Derek M Jones)
Newsgroups: comp.databases.theory,comp.compilers
Date: 6 Apr 1997 22:22:27 -0400

All,

edi-c@algonet.se "Kurt Svensson" writes:
> In the book "Understanding the new SQL, Melton & Simon,
> Morgan-Kaufman, 1993" there is a complete BNF grammar of SQL/92 (the

This is a very good book. The grammar from the SQL/2 standard is also
on-line (sorry have lost the address). The primary site of the SQL
Standards Archive is located at: ftp://jerry.ece.umassd.edu You might
like to have a look here.

> proposed new SQL language). The book also describes what each

"new SQL"? SQL/3 is just being finalised. So the 1992 standard will
soon be the old standard.

> statement and clause is supposed to do.
> [Parsing it is easy enough, it's what to do once you've parsed it that's
> hard. -John]

Actually parsing is quite hard. It took me nearly a month to get a
grammar for SQL/2 that did not have an excessive number of conflicts
(got it down to one shift/reduce).

If anybody is interested in the old old standard (1987) check out
alpha.gnu.ai.mit.edu/gnu/gnusql-0.7b3.tar.gz

This is an implementation of the 'original' SQL standard (it processes
Embedded SQL and turns it into C function calls) done by a group of
Russians. I had a quick play. It looks like it could turn into
something serious.

Given than many large, commercial, DBMS vendors don't support much
beyond the 1987 standard I wouldn't worry about the lack of support
for 1992 features.

derek

--
Derek M Jones tel: +44 (0) 1252 520 667