interpreter pattern & p-code performance analysis
3 Apr 1997 14:08:07 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
interpreter pattern & p-code performance analysis (1997-04-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 3 Apr 1997 14:08:07 -0500
Encoding: 22 Text

I am writing a yacc++ based interpreter/compiler as part of a large
project. It is based on existing technology, which used a technique
similar to the interpreter pattern (re Gamma et al.) - the structure
of the interpreted code is represented with a parent-child class

While this technique works ok, and the resulting c++ code is more
readable to a non-compiler writer, it is space and time
inefficient. The alternative is to generate some form of intermediate
code and execute this in a virtual machine when required.

At the moment I am doing performance analysis to compare the space and
execution efficiency of the two methods. Has anyone done similar
analysis before?

If I do have to go down the intermediate code route, is there code for
an intermediate language executor available? (p-code implementation
for example)

Thanks in advance,

Martin Jones.
[There's always the JVM. -John]