Re: [++] Re: Problems with Hardware, Languages, and Compilers

Jarkko Hietaniemi <jhi@alpha.hut.fi>
13 Mar 1997 23:41:24 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Problems with Hardware, Languages, and Compilers hrubin@stat.purdue.edu (1997-03-07)
[++] Re: Problems with Hardware, Languages, and Compilers Terje.Mathisen@hda.hydro.com (Terje Mathisen) (1997-03-09)
Re: [++] Re: Problems with Hardware, Languages, and Compilers jhi@alpha.hut.fi (Jarkko Hietaniemi) (1997-03-13)
Re: [++] Re: Problems with Hardware, Languages, and Compilers Terje.Mathisen@hda.hydro.com (Terje Mathisen) (1997-03-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Jarkko Hietaniemi <jhi@alpha.hut.fi>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.misc,comp.arch.arithmetic
Date: 13 Mar 1997 23:41:24 -0500

> By running two or three of these calculations in parallel, we got rid
> of nearly all the fp pipeline stalls, resulting in final speedups for
> his simulations between 30% and 100%.
>
> It was quite easy to do this using portable C, so I cannot really see
> the need to modify either hardware, languages or compilers to realize
> these kinds of speedups?

You obviously do not live in the same planet as me. Most people do not
want to change languages, that is, Fortran -> C in most scientific /
technical codes. Most people do not want even to change their
code. Most people do not even know there is an -O flag in their
compiler. They just want to run their code FAST. Ergo, the compilers,
languages, operating systems, and the hardware must live to server.

BTW: a great speedup.

--
$jhi++;
# Jarkko Hietaniemi <URL:http://www.iki.fi/~jhi/> <URL:mailto:jhi@iki.fi>