Re: S record format with gnu compiler ?

James Carlson <carlson@xylogics.com>
7 Mar 1997 21:35:10 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
S record format with gnu compiler ? cjones@digsys1.md.essd.northgrum.com (Chris Jones) (1997-03-05)
Re: S record format with gnu compiler ? carlson@xylogics.com (James Carlson) (1997-03-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: James Carlson <carlson@xylogics.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 7 Mar 1997 21:35:10 -0500

> I am looking for info on using the gnu compiler to generate motorola s
> record format files.
>
> Anyone know if this is possible?

Both possible and easy. You need a flag on the linker, not the
compiler. On Gnu "ld" set "-oformat srec", or from the GCC command
line use "-Xlinker -oformat -Xlinker srec".

Use "objdump -i" to make sure your Gnu tools are configured to
generate "srec" output.

> [GCC doesn't generate any object format at all -- it generates assembler
> source. I expect it wouldn't be very hard to write a translator from the
> gas a.out format to any other format you need. -John]

Also true. Though, of course, gas generates a lot more than just
a.out these days -- the default is ELF on many platforms.