Re: GNU Incremental Linking?? (David Monniaux)
5 Mar 1997 13:45:44 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
GNU Incremental Linking?? (Randall Edick) (1997-03-01)
Re: GNU Incremental Linking?? (1997-03-05)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: (David Monniaux)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 5 Mar 1997 13:45:44 -0500

Randall Edick ( wrote:
: Does anyone know if there are plans to implement incremental
: linking in gnu c/c++?
: [Good question. There were some interesting papers a few years back
: reporting extremely fast link turnaround with an incremental linker at
: the cost of what was then a lot of memory. Considering how our
: opinions of what's a lot of memory have changed, it should be worth
: another look. -John]

A fact that you may not be aware of: SunSoft ships an incremental
linker (ild) for use with its C / Fortran / Pascal development
systems. It's used by default when you ask for debug info (thus
meaning you don't want a definite version). I have never quite used
it, and I know its automatic use when using debug mode puzzled friends
of mine (some messages would appear every 4 compiles or so... :-) ).

Thus incremental linking is now in the industrial mainstream.

My two cents.

Computer science student at ENS, Lyon, France