Re: recovery from syntax errors, was "ignorant newbie" question

Ray Dillinger <bear@sonic.net>
22 Feb 1997 23:12:56 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: [QUERY] A "ignorant newbie" question about compiler-writing. kanze@gabi-soft.fr (J. Kanze) (1997-01-30)
Re: [QUERY] A "ignorant newbie" question about compiler-writing. mff@research.att.com (Mary Fernandez) (1997-02-11)
Re: [QUERY] A "ignorant newbie" question about compiler-writing. dennis@netcom.com (1997-02-16)
Re: [QUERY] A "ignorant newbie" question about compiler-writing. nr@adder.cs.virginia.edu (Norman Ramsey) (1997-02-20)
Re: recovery from syntax errors, was "ignorant newbie" question leichter@smarts.com (Jerry Leichter) (1997-02-22)
Re: recovery from syntax errors, was "ignorant newbie" question bear@sonic.net (Ray Dillinger) (1997-02-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Ray Dillinger <bear@sonic.net>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 22 Feb 1997 23:12:56 -0500

Norman Ramsey wrote:
> Um, it may seem obvious, but it's not. The algorithm I described
> ``taints'' everything that could possibly depend on the first
> erroneous construct, and it refuses to issue error messages about
> tainted things. That way it can produce reliable error messages about
> other parts of your program, which don't depend on the first error.

It occurs to me that the second and subsequent errors returned from
your system as described, may result from code that was *supposed* to
depend on the code containing the first error, but which, due to the
first error did not.

Everything in the program, either does or does not depend on the part
of the program in which the error was found; but the simple fact of
the error can easily screw up your ability to determine which category
a piece of code falls into.

Bear