Re: experience with jack, a yacc-like tool for java

sreeni@csc.albany.edu (Sreenivasa Rao Viswanadha)
11 Feb 1997 22:22:54 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
is there a yacc that outputs Java instead of C/C++? dan.kelley@dal.ca (Dan Kelley) (1997-02-02)
experience with jack, a yacc-like tool for java dan.kelley@dal.ca (Dan Kelley) (1997-02-07)
Re: experience with jack, a yacc-like tool for java gfarrow@shlden.com (1997-02-08)
Re: experience with jack, a yacc-like tool for java sreeni@csc.albany.edu (1997-02-11)
Re: experience with jack, a yacc-like tool for java nshaylor@tcp.co.uk (1997-02-20)
Re: experience with jack, a yacc-like tool for java sami@microsoft.com (Sam Inala) (1997-02-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: sreeni@csc.albany.edu (Sreenivasa Rao Viswanadha)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.java.misc
Date: 11 Feb 1997 22:22:54 -0500

Dan Kelley <dan.kelley@dal.ca> wrote:
>Unfortunately, I couldn't get Jack to work on my machine, on the
> kelley@Kelley$ java -version
> java version "1.0.1"

This is *very old* version of Java which is no longer supported. In
fact, Jack installation pages explicitly say that you need Java 1.0.2
or higher for Jack (now called JavaCC) to run.

Glenn Farrow <gfarrow@shlden.com> wrote:
>using JDK 1.1 Beta 3 and it worked fine with the following exceptions:
>
>1.) Several deprecation warnings.

We want to support both JDK1.0.2 and JDK1.1, due to which you get
those warnings. The problem with fixing these is that their
replacements are not upward compatible, so people still using 1.0.2
will have trouble. Once JDK1.1 becomes the official release of Java,
we will also switch to 1.1.

>"ASCII_CharStream.java:36: Can't access protected method finalize in
>class java.lang.Object. byte[] is not a subclass of the current class
>buffer.finalize();"

The problem here is that you are using an old version of Jack. There
is a new interim version which is being tested by users on the
jack-interest mailing list.

Very soon (by the end of the week), we will be announcing the Beta
release of JavaCC0.6 on all relevant NGs. So stay tuned. If you are in
a hurry and want the early release, please send mail to
jack-help@asap.eng.sun.com.

Sreeni.