Re: OO compiler design ?
11 Feb 1997 22:08:10 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
[3 earlier articles]
Re: OO compiler design ? (1997-01-22)
Re: OO compiler design ? (Alexander Krotoff) (1997-01-22)
Re: OO compiler design ? (1997-01-25)
Re: OO compiler design ? (Trond Ronde) (1997-01-29)
Re: OO compiler design ? (1997-02-02)
Re: OO compiler design ? (1997-02-07)
Re: OO compiler design ? (1997-02-11)
Re: OO compiler design ? (Patrik Reali) (1997-02-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 11 Feb 1997 22:08:10 -0500

Hi there!

Fri 07.02.1997 (stephen) wrote:

> I'd Be Interested To Know Of Any Opinions Of Wirth's Oberon Book, Which
> From A Casual Glance Looks Very Clear. What Does A More Detailed
> Examination Reveal?

      In terms of object-oriented compiler design the book does teach you
nothing. The compiler is written in the standard imperative
"Modula-2" fashion, without using type-extension anywhere. It is a
good single-pass compiler design, though. And the language design is
even better... :-)

      OP2, the standard "portable" Oberon-2 compiler distributed with
Oberon V4 implementations, is also written in an imperative style
without using type-extension.

      The only Oberon-type compiler I know to use type-extensions is the
compiler for "Oberon-V" by Robert Griesemer. But its sources have not
been published officially so far. Details can be found in Roberts
dissertation though, which should be availiable at the ETH Zurich
ftp/www servers.

      BTW: I plan writing an Oberon-2 compiler later this year using an
OO approach. The result of this project will be freely distributable,
but until then...