Re: Fast code vs. fast compile

Darius Blasband <darius@phidani.be>
25 Jan 1997 21:57:51 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Re: Fast code vs. fast compile salomon@silver.cs.umanitoba.ca (1997-01-19)
Re: Fast code vs. fast compile darius@phidani.be (Darius Blasband) (1997-01-22)
Re: Fast code vs. fast compile jlilley@empathy.com (John Lilley) (1997-01-22)
Re: Fast code vs. fast compile mwolfe@dat.cse.ogi.edu (1997-01-22)
Re: Fast code vs. fast compile mikey@ontek.com (1997-01-22)
Re: Fast code vs. fast compile conway@cs.mu.oz.au (1997-01-22)
Re: Fast code vs. fast compile darius@phidani.be (Darius Blasband) (1997-01-25)
Re: Fast code vs. fast compile wws@renaissance.cray.com (Walter Spector) (1997-01-25)
Re: Fast code vs. fast compile kanze@gabi-soft.fr (1997-02-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Darius Blasband <darius@phidani.be>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 25 Jan 1997 21:57:51 -0500

Thomas Charles CONWAY wrote:
> minutes, and asm->object abpit 7 minutes. Moreover, the assembler
> consumed very large amounts of memory. (I forget the exact figure now,
> but it was something like 100-200Mb. Fortunately, we were doing it on
> an Alpha with 8Gb of main memory.) I was a bit surprised that the
> assembler should take so long and use so much memory. Does anyone have
> any experience with this kind of thing?

It does match our experience as well. We face similar size problems at
the ASM stage when dealing with abnormally large inputs (typically,
inputs that have been generated automatically such as a 35.000 lines
YAFL parser, that generates +- 150.000 lines of C...) and, not that I
would like to sound envious, it all ran on a (admittedly, reasonably
sized) PC running Unixware. I am not sure whether we would have even
noticed the problem on an Alpha...

The issue seems to be more related to the assembly input's size rather
than the nature of this input (tables, code, etc...). We face similar
experiences no matter what happens to be in these large C source
files.

Cheers,

Darius
[Hmmn, I wrote a Unix assembler a long time ago, and I do have a vague
recollection that there were some worse-than-linear algorithms involved.
But I don't remember what they were. -John]