Re: Compiler stress tests?

John Haxby <jch@hazel.pwd.hp.com>
22 Jan 1997 00:02:41 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compiler stress tests? pardo@cs.washington.edu (1997-01-02)
Re: Compiler stress tests? d.sand@ix.netcom.com (Duane Sand) (1997-01-03)
Re: Compiler stress tests? cliffc@risc.sps.mot.com (1997-01-03)
Re: Compiler stress tests? clyde@hitech.com.au (1997-01-04)
Re: Compiler stress tests? jeffncyn@internetmci.com (1997-01-12)
Re: Compiler stress tests? gah@u.washington.edu (1997-01-16)
Re: Compiler stress tests? stephen.baynes@soton.sc.philips.com (Stephen Baynes) (1997-01-17)
Re: Compiler stress tests? jch@hazel.pwd.hp.com (John Haxby) (1997-01-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: John Haxby <jch@hazel.pwd.hp.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 22 Jan 1997 00:02:41 -0500

G. Herrmannsfeldt wrote:
> I used to hear, int the days of punched cards, that some compiler
> testers would get cards from the recycle bins and feed them to the
> compiler. Just random collections of possibly error containing
> statements, unrelated to each other.

On a related note, a suite of Algol68 compiler killers had a pair of
programs: the first was a legal and reasonable program that broke up
Algol68 programs lexically and spat out the lexemes in random order.
The second program was this random output. Generally speaking, this
played havoc with any error recovery since your typically error
recovery tries to resynchronise on something sensible like ";" or
"END".

I guess the underlying reason it was so cruel to compilers is that the
random program is almost entirely, but not quite, unlike an Algol68
program.

[The possibility of generating legal but highly complex programs has
been mentioned already -- this gives something with is almost entirely,
but not quite, unlike a working program.]

--
John Haxby
jch@pwd.hp.com http://www.openmail.external.hp.com/