Beginner's Question...

Mihai Christodorescu <mihai@A-aod.resnet.ucsb.edu>
16 Jan 1997 11:13:35 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Beginner's Question... mihai@A-aod.resnet.ucsb.edu (Mihai Christodorescu) (1997-01-16)
Re: Beginner's Question... salomon@silver.cs.umanitoba.ca (1997-01-16)
Re: Beginner's Question... jlilley@empathy.com (John Lilley) (1997-01-16)
Fast code vs. fast compile dennis@netcom.com (1997-01-16)
Re: Beginner's Question... edi-c@algonet.se (Kurt Svensson) (1997-01-17)
Re: Beginner's Question... will@ccs.neu.edu (William D Clinger) (1997-01-17)
Re: Beginner's Question... jlilley@empathy.com (John Lilley) (1997-01-19)

From: Mihai Christodorescu <mihai@A-aod.resnet.ucsb.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 16 Jan 1997 11:13:35 -0500

Hi everybody!

I am just adventuring in the area of making compilers, and I
must say it is a very big jump from using a compiler to making it :-)
I have been lurking and reading in these area for some time now, and I
have noticed the discussion comes back almost always to how
(time-)efficient is the parser (and maybe the rest of the compiling
steps except for the code generator).

My question is:

Is this problem a real problem in compiler theory and compiler making?
Why? It seems to me that it is more important for a compiler to
generate good and/or fast code, rather than compiling fast. Or maybe
there is a link between the two... If it is a too dumb question,
please reply personally!

Thanks,

Mihai Christodorescu
home 277 Estancia Place, Camarillo, CA 93012
college (805) 562-1507 Mailbox 11467, UCSB, Santa Barbara 93107
work (805) 893-7794 PSB North bldg 489, UCSB, Santa Barbara 93107
email mihai@A-aod.resnet.ucsb.edu
[Depends on what you're doing. If you're busy debugging and recompiling a
program, with the output of any particular compiler run only used once or
twice, you're generally much more interested in fast compilation than fast
code. -John]