Re: [QUERY] Incremental dependencies

David L Moore <dlmoore@ix.netcom.com>
12 Jan 1997 11:50:12 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
[QUERY] Incremental dependencies jlilley@empathy.com (1997-01-09)
Re: [QUERY] Incremental dependencies dlmoore@ix.netcom.com (David L Moore) (1997-01-12)
Re: [QUERY] Incremental dependencies jsgray@acm.org (Jan Gray) (1997-01-14)
Re: [QUERY] Incremental dependencies lat@hpmoose6.cern.ch (Lassi Tuura) (1997-01-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: David L Moore <dlmoore@ix.netcom.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 12 Jan 1997 11:50:12 -0500

John Lilley wrote:

> So I wonder: do any compilers/parsers, commercial or otherwise, make
> use of incremental or minimal dependency calculations.

Rational's Apex Ada compilers do incremental compilation. However,
code generation is always re-run, I believe for the entire file that
has changed.

These compilers use a permanent intermediate representation which
allow you to do nice things like ask "Where is this type used?" This
is great for impact analysis during maintenance. The incremental
compilation is from source into this intermediate form.