Re: Is YACC / PCCTS used in commercial comp

michael.ball@Eng.Sun.COM (Mike Ball)
3 Jan 1997 23:09:35 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Re: Is YACC / PCCTS used in commercial comp michael.ball@Eng.Sun.COM (1997-01-03)
Re: precedence modification? richardm@cogs.susx.ac.uk (1997-01-12)
Re: precedence modification? fjh@mundook.cs.mu.OZ.AU (1997-01-15)
Re: precedence modification? Keith.Clarke@dcs.qmw.ac.uk (1997-01-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: michael.ball@Eng.Sun.COM (Mike Ball)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 3 Jan 1997 23:09:35 -0500

kanze@gabi-soft.fr (J. Kanze) writes:
> From the different compiler people I've talked to, I get the
> impression that recursive descent dominates for C++.

Just for the record, the Sun C++ compiler, which is based (as were a number
of commercial compilers) on the TauMetric frontend, uses recursive descent,
with a precedence modification when handling expressions.

The original Zortech C++, now Symantec C++, and the Borland C++ compiler use
approximately the same technique.

That is, as far as I can tell, just the easiest way to do it.

Michael Ball
SunSoft Development Products