Re: Compiler at work visually ! (Gerald W. Carter)
2 Jan 1997 23:18:23 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compiler at work visually ! (1996-12-26)
Re: Compiler at work visually ! (1997-01-02)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: (Gerald W. Carter)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 2 Jan 1997 23:18:23 -0500

> I am looking for a sample compiler (preferably for Pascal) that have the
> following features:
> 1. educational tool
> 2. visually demostarte the mechanics of the compiler (in simulation):
> a. front-end process (lex. analysis, etc.)
> b. back-end process (target code generation, etc.)
> 3. symbole table management (visulized meta4)

To help in debugging code for my thesis work, I have developed a
parser ( using flex and bison ) for Pascal that builds the syntax tree
for a program. The tool can then output then syntax tree in GML (
Graph Modeling Language ) format which can be fed into a graph
visualization tool that is being deleveled here at Auburn University.
The URL for the graph tool is

The tool does no sort of code generation what-so-ever, but being able
to look at the syntax tree is a big help. If you are interested, send
me e-mail and I can get more details to you.

| Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter |
| System / Network Admin ( 334 ) 844 - 3788 |
| School of Human Sciences |
| Auburn University |