Re: Left and Right recursive non-terminals

Horst von Brand <vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl>
26 Dec 1996 14:11:36 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Left and Right recursive non-terminals cowboy@cv.lexington.ibm.com (1996-12-14)
Re: Left and Right recursive non-terminals bart@time.cirl.uoregon.edu (1996-12-15)
Re: Left and Right recursive non-terminals dlmoore@ix.netcom.com (David L Moore) (1996-12-15)
Re: Left and Right recursive non-terminals perle@cs.tu-berlin.de (1996-12-18)
Re: Left and Right recursive non-terminals bart@time.cirl.uoregon.edu (1996-12-20)
Re: Left and Right recursive non-terminals vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl (Horst von Brand) (1996-12-26)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Horst von Brand <vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 26 Dec 1996 14:11:36 -0500

bart@time.cirl.uoregon.edu (Barton C. Massey) writes:
> A reachable non-terminal that is both left and right recursive and
> which derives any nonempty string of terminals renders a grammar
> ambiguous, yes. I don't know a reference, but the proof is pretty
> easy...

> ["Proof" assuming A -> A b A and A =>* empty]

A need not deliver the empty string.

As in the "proof" given, assume b=>* s, A=>* x, where both s and x are
strings of terminals (since A and the string b aren't useless). Take:

    A =>* xbxbx =>* xsxsx

which you can get two different ways, the following (partial, schematic)
derivation tree and its mirror image:

/|\
                    / b \
A A
                  | /|\
x A b A
| |
x x

Regardless of whether s and x are nonempty, the resulting parse trees for
the full string produced are different, i.e., the grammar is ambiguous.
--
Dr. Horst H. von Brand mailto:vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl
Departamento de Informatica Fono: +56 32 797499 x 431