Re: Aho and Ullman theory of parsing books (A Johnstone)
20 Dec 1996 17:12:53 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Left and Right recursive non-terminals (1996-12-14)
Re: Left and Right recursive non-terminals (David L Moore) (1996-12-15)
Re: Aho and Ullman theory of parsing books (1996-12-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: (A Johnstone)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 20 Dec 1996 17:12:53 -0500
Keyords: parse, theory

David L Moore ( wrote:

: BTW, I only have Vol 1 of Aho and Ullman. I believe someone said here
: that it is out of print. Has it been republished by any of those
: companies that reprint valuable older texts. (Such as Dover - I now
: have a number of texts in Dover editions which I was too poor to
: purchase as a student - Dover is an ornament to civilization)

Somebody stole volume 1 from our library. The fiche for books in print
says that volume 1 is still available but volume 2 is out of print. I
guess this is just old stock. It costs about UK\pounds 99.

    Dr Adrian Johnstone, Dean of the Science Faculty, Dept of Computer Science,
        Royal Holloway, University of London, Egham, Surrey, TW20 0EX, England.
Email: Tel: +44 (0)1784 443425 Fax: +44 (0)1784 443420
[It's available in the U.S. for about $75 from, but volume 2 isn't
available here, either. I can tell you from personal experience that
publishers seem to make their out of print decisions by no criterion that
anyone's been able to explain. -John]