Re: Safe ANSI C Subset

Roger Barnett <>
15 Dec 1996 16:12:48 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Safe ANSI C Subset (Jan Soderberg) (1996-12-03)
Re: Safe ANSI C Subset (Craig Franck) (1996-12-07)
Re: Safe ANSI C Subset (1996-12-07)
Re: Safe ANSI C Subset (Horst von Brand) (1996-12-10)
Re: Safe ANSI C Subset (Roger Barnett) (1996-12-15)
Re: Safe ANSI C Subset (Dave Mason) (1997-01-09)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Roger Barnett <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 15 Dec 1996 16:12:48 -0500

Jan Soderberg ( wrote:
> Does anyone know of any ANSI C subsets defined for safety critical
> real-time applications? (Mark van der Aalst) writes:
> I am not aware of any subsets of 'C' wich handle this sort of thing, I
> do know that most military applications (at least in this country) are
> written in plain 'C' ...

Is this because they decided that C was safer than the RTL/2
language which was quite widespread over there ten years ago ?

[ I ask this because we used to be told that Ada was replacing
    all of the RTL/2 because of its superior safety features - to
    hear that in fact all this stuff is now written in C is a little ironic
    but totally unsurprising. ]

Roger Barnett
Natron Software Ltd, York, England