Re: Machine code parsers (entropy of machine code)

"Andrey I. Savov" <andrey@ix.netcom.com>
1 Dec 1996 22:59:31 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Machine code parsers (entropy of machine code) andrey@ix.netcom.com (Andrey I. Savov) (1996-11-24)
Re: Machine code parsers (entropy of machine code) derek@knosof.co.uk (1996-11-26)
Re: Machine code parsers (entropy of machine code) andrey@ix.netcom.com (Andrey I. Savov) (1996-12-01)
Re: Machine code parsers (entropy of machine code) derek@knosof.co.uk (1996-12-03)
Re: Machine code parsers (entropy of machine code) jacob@jacob.remcomp.fr (1996-12-07)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Andrey I. Savov" <andrey@ix.netcom.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.compilers.tools.pccts
Date: 1 Dec 1996 22:59:31 -0500

Derek M Jones <derek@knosof.co.uk> wrote

> I think that perhaps we can talk about the entropy of instruction
> sets. But the code egnerated by different compilers?

Actually, the entropy of the instruction sets for Intel/PowerPC was
one of the initial questions. The set of compilers can be fixed saying
that we take only Microsoft compilers into consideration. I don't
believe this matters a lot, though.

> I once did a little experiment. I measured how well gzip compressed
> executable programs for a vareity of machines. There did seem to
> be some correlation between compression ratios for the same programs,
> compiled for different cpu's.

Well, you see, the gzip compression of executable code cannot give you
a good idea about the entropy of the machine code, because gzip
compresses everything as raw data.

As for different CPUs I'd expect RISC code to have smallest entropy
(compresses best).

> Do you think optmised code will have a higher or lower entropy?

It's hard to say, I'd expect higher than non-optimized, because
usually some redundancies are removed during the optimization.

Andrey