Re: Generating Java Bytecode

torhr@storm.stud.ntnu.no (Tor H. Ringstad)
19 Nov 1996 00:18:09 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Generating Java Bytecode gleeh@tulletts.sprint.com (1996-11-18)
Re: Generating Java Bytecode torhr@storm.stud.ntnu.no (1996-11-19)
Generating Java Bytecode nasser@apldbio.COM (Nasser Abbasi) (1996-11-19)
Re: Generating Java Bytecode kuznetso@MIT.EDU (1996-11-19)
Generating Java Bytecode w.purvis@daresbury.ac.uk (Bill Purvis) (1996-11-19)
Re: Generating Java Bytecode macrakis@app2.osf.org (Stavros Macrakis) (1996-11-19)
Re: Generating Java Bytecode chapados@nortel.ca (nicolas (n.) chapados) (1996-11-19)
Re: Generating Java Bytecode gunnar@candleweb.no (Gunnar R|nning) (1996-11-19)

From: torhr@storm.stud.ntnu.no (Tor H. Ringstad)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 19 Nov 1996 00:18:09 -0500

gleeh@tulletts.sprint.com writes:

> Does anyone have an opinion on generating bytecode for languages other
> than java ?
>
> I can't see any reason why in principle a C or C++ compiler couldnt be
> developed that produces bytecode, this way we could all write in our
> favourite language yet still get all the powerful benefits of Java.

If you take C++ and remove the explicit handling of memory (including
pointers), then you are pretty close to Java. Those 'features' can't be
implemented on the JVM (at least not in any close-to-usable way).

In the more general case, I'd say that pretty much any language should be
possible to compile, but the interesting question is if it is possible to
generate _effective_ code. The Java language and the JVM is rather closely
coupled.

I am currently working on a diploma thesis (together with Kjetil Valstadsve)
which aims to look into certain aspects of the question of JVM as a suitable
target for compiled Scheme.

There also is another Scheme interpreter/compiler (by Per Bothner) called
Kawa that does a decent job.

- Tor Ringstad -