Re: Java-byte-code to machine code compiler?

kuznetso@MIT.EDU (Eugene Kuznetsov)
15 Nov 1996 10:34:16 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Java-byte-code to machine code compiler? pt93jk@student.hk-r.se (Johan Karlsson) (1996-11-14)
Re: Java-byte-code to machine code compiler? kuznetso@MIT.EDU (1996-11-15)
Re: Java-byte-code to machine code compiler? alt-x@erinet.com (1996-11-15)
Re: Java-byte-code to machine code compiler? assar@sics.se (Assar Westerlund) (1996-11-18)
Re: Java-byte-code to machine code compiler? apalanis@students.uwf.edu (1996-11-18)
Re: Java-byte-code to machine code compiler? markt@harlequin.co.uk (1996-11-24)
Re: Java-byte-code to machine code compiler? bvolk@inetworld.net (Bill) (1996-11-24)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: kuznetso@MIT.EDU (Eugene Kuznetsov)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 15 Nov 1996 10:34:16 -0500

Johan Karlsson <pt93jk@student.hk-r.se> wrote:

> Is there anyone who knows if there is any compiler that compile
> java-byte-code to executable code? It would be useful to run java
> programs without interpreting them in some cases.

There are, but what target are you interested in? Currently
"Just-In-Time" compilers are the most popular, with numerous tools
vendors offerring them for PowerPC, x86, 68k and probably other
architectures. A JIT compiles bytecode to native code on the fly,
when a class file is loaded or a particular method is called. The
same technology can be used to produce native code from within the
development environment, though generally the at-runtime compilation
overhead is not very noticeable.

For example, you can visit <http://www.roaster.com> (I apologize for
the plug) to read about our JIT for PowerPC and 68k. Other vendors
who have released or announced JIT compilers for java include: Sun,
IBM, Microsoft, Symantec, Borland, Metrowerks, Asymmetrix. Chances
are, something is either already available or will be available in the
near future for your particular platform.

The resulting performance gains can be very substantial if the
algorithms are sensible.

Hope this helps,

                                    Eugene Kuznetsov
                                    kuznetso@mit.edu