Re: MS-COFF Object Files

shankar@chromatic.com (Shankar Unni)
12 Nov 1996 22:06:42 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
MS-COFF Object Files gleeh@tulletts.sprint.com (1996-11-10)
Re: MS-COFF Object Files meissner@cygnus.com (Michael Meissner) (1996-11-12)
Re: MS-COFF Object Files htak@eskimo.com (1996-11-12)
Re: MS-COFF Object Files shankar@chromatic.com (1996-11-12)
Re: MS-COFF Object Files alt-x@erinet.com (1996-11-14)
Re: MS-COFF Object Files albaugh@agames.com (1996-11-19)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: shankar@chromatic.com (Shankar Unni)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 12 Nov 1996 22:06:42 -0500

gleeh@tulletts.sprint.com wrote:

> [There's a GNU object library, but I don't recall having seen an MS
> backend for it. -John]

The latest GNU binutils (2.7) has support for PE (Portable Executable -
that's Microsoft's object format - a COFF derivative) for several
architectures (Intel X86, PowerPC and ARM).

You can generate a "libbfd.a" for the appropriate backends you are
interested in (in this case, I suspect just the one: PE/ix86), and make
calls to it to read and write object files.

PE is documented reasonably well in the Visual C++ documentation, and there
is a whole bunch more documentation on PE in the Microsoft Developers'
Network CDs. (For those who feel like paying $$ for it).

You can get the latest binutils by poking around in prep.ai.mit.edu
(anonymous ftp, under /pub/gnu).

--
Shankar Unni shankar@chromatic.com
Chromatic Research (408) 752-9488