Re: Information on dispatch-techniques

volanski@irisa.fr (Nic Volanski)
7 Nov 1996 00:09:29 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Information on dispatch-techniques astor@lucifer.guardian.no (Alexander Kjeldaas) (1996-10-30)
Re: Information on dispatch-techniques roques@pond.sub.org (Christian von Roques) (1996-11-03)
Re: Information on dispatch-techniques nkramer@cs.cmu.edu (Nick Kramer) (1996-11-05)
Re: Information on dispatch-techniques volanski@irisa.fr (1996-11-07)
Re: Information on dispatch-techniques astor@lucifer.guardian.no (Alexander Kjeldaas) (1996-11-26)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: volanski@irisa.fr (Nic Volanski)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 7 Nov 1996 00:09:29 -0500

> (I've seen a lot more papers on caching schemes and on optimizing away
> runtime dispatch than I have seen papers on actually implementing the
> dispatch. Am I just looking in the wrong places?)

> -Nick Kramer

I guess so. Here you have a paper comparing several implementations, via
benchmarks:

H. Srinivassan and P.F. Sweeney, "Evaluating virtual dispatch mechanisms for C++"
Research Report at the IBM T.J. Watson Center - RC 20330 (89860), Nov. 96.

A summary of existing techniques, and a new technique for multi-method
dispathing are covered in:

E. Amiel, O. Gruber and E. Simon, "Optimizing multi-method dispatch using
compressed dispatch tables", appeared in OOPSLA'94.

You can find some further improvement of this technique in:

E. Dujardin, "Efficient dispatch of multi-methods in constant time using
dispatch trees", Research Report at the INRIA, RR 2892, May 96.

Nic.

--
  Nic Volanski IRISA - equipe LANDE
  volanski@irisa.fr bureau D-056