Re: 'Compiler Construction' by Niklaus Wirth info & review.

Nagarajan Parthasarathy <naga@hotmail.com>
1 Nov 1996 17:49:14 -0500

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
'Compiler Construction' by Niklaus Wirth rasnick@wt.net (Jack Rasnick) (1996-10-30)
Re: 'Compiler Construction' by Niklaus Wirth info & review. naga@hotmail.com (Nagarajan Parthasarathy) (1996-11-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Nagarajan Parthasarathy <naga@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.oberon
Date: 1 Nov 1996 17:49:14 -0500

> I understand that Nikalus Wirth has a new book out titled 'Compiler
> Construction' that includes a PC platform compiler. I have a couple of
> questions.

The book Project Oberon: Design of an operating system and compiler by
Wirth is also very useful.

> Has anyone in the US seen or received this book yet?

Yes, I picked up a copy from the san jose, CA computer literacy
bookstores.

> Does the compiler generate dos or win95 executables?

No. It should not be too difficult to recode it in C or C++ or Java
since the whole thing is < 1500 lines. you have to design a code
generator but what exists can give a good framework. You would require
the intel manuals ( about 60 US$ ). Dos or win95 executable format - i
don't know how to do it. if someone knows please tell me. one thing
is you can create a .com file for dos. all dos does is load it and run
it. so it is pretty simple.

A few words about the book compiler construction. It is an
introductory book on compiler construction. It implements a pascal
like languge called oberon-0. The language is reasonably complete.

features :
*) written in oberon
*) Base types integer and boolean only. has records, arrays and
single inheritence. no methods or abstract methods or multiple
inheritance.
*) complete control statement syntax
*) code generation for an simple RISC abstract machine. includes
interpreter for the abstract machine.
*) Explores compiler writing using no tools. parser is recursive
descent and has some good implementation suggestions for error
recovery. scanner is simple but efficient.
*) tend to think it was designed for an introductory course in
compiler construction.