MS Pascal 4 and conversion

"Erik Funkenbusch" <>
20 Oct 1996 16:40:26 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
MS Pascal 4 and conversion (Erik Funkenbusch) (1996-10-20)
Re: MS Pascal 4 and conversion (1996-10-24)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 20 Oct 1996 16:40:26 -0400

I'm attempting to write a crude translator that will translate from MS
Pascal 4 (an ancient and quite dead dialect) to something a little more
modern. Since i'm more familiar with C/C++ than pascal, i'm attempting to
convert it to that.

I know there are Pascal to C converters out there (though I haven't found
any), but I also know these converters do not work with the old MS High
Pascal dialect. I'm wondering if anyone has any source to a converter(even
if it's for Turbo Pascal, or Wirthian Pascal it's a place to start from),
MS Pascal 4 grammar for flex, or has some ideas to help me along.

I realize that there are certain language differences that are
non-convertable (or at least not easily convertable) such as sets and
file/screen/memory oriented code, but I can do that by hand if i can
generate an exception report on them.

Just for reference, I have a large quantity of very poorly written MS
Pascal 4 code that I need to bring into the 21st century...