Re: Analysis and optimization frameworks related work?

assmann@ipd.info.uni-karlsruhe.de
18 Oct 1996 08:43:36 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Analysis and optimization frameworks related work? jdean@stash.pa.dec.com (1996-10-12)
Re: Analysis and optimization frameworks related work? creusil@cri.ensmp.fr (1996-10-15)
Re: Analysis and optimization frameworks related work? cliffc@risc.sps.mot.com (1996-10-15)
Re: Analysis and optimization frameworks related work? jyates@gis.net (1996-10-16)
Re: Analysis and optimization frameworks related work? assmann@ipd.info.uni-karlsruhe.de (1996-10-18)
Re: Analysis and optimization frameworks related work? uday@cs.unipune.ernet.in (Uday P Khedker) (1996-10-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: assmann@ipd.info.uni-karlsruhe.de
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 18 Oct 1996 08:43:36 -0400

jdean@stash.pa.dec.com (Jeff Dean) writes:
|> This is a request for information about related work on frameworks
|> that make it easier to design and implement compiler optimizations.

You may distinguish between compiler construction frameworks that
support practical works, generators of algorithms and theoretical
analysis frameworks.

1) Compiler frameworks:

- CoSy http://www.ace.nl/products/cosy
http://i44www.info.uni-karlsruhe.de/~compare

On the principles of Cosy there are a lot of internal reports.
Ask ACE.
- Sage++: (Indiana University, IRISA) C++-oriented framework
    for instruction scheduling and other optimizations

2) Generators of algorithms:

- PAG (Martin Alt, University Saarbruecken)
    interprocedural analysis and abstract interpretation
- Optimix (myself, http://i44www.info.uni-karlsruhe.de/~assmann/optimix.html)
    intraprocedural analysis and transformation
    PAG and Optimix work standalone, but also with the CoSy compiler
    environment
- Sharlit (Tijang, Suif, http://suif.stanford.de)
    only bitvector problems (?)
- MetaFrame (Steffen, Knoop, University Passau) based on modal logic
- SPARE (Venkatesh) based on abstract interpretation

3) theory frameworks
- Cousot's abstract interpretation framework (especially Francois
Bourdoncle's work on Syntox, the abstract debugger)
- Jens Knoop's thesis on the 'interprocedural coincidence theorem',
which states conditions when intraprocedural analysis algorithms
can be used for interprocedural problems

|> o A client of the framework can perform analyses and transformations
|> at the same time. Traditional approaches to performing optimizations
|> usually involve one pass over the IR to compute some properties, and
|> then a second pass over the graph to perform transformations based on
|> this information. Our approach permits clients to optimistically
|> request transformations that they would like to perform before they
|> are certain that the information is conservative (because fixed-point
|> has not yet necessarily been reached): the dataflow framework takes
|> care of only applying these transformations at the appropriate time.

Have you compared this to transformational attribute grammars, i.e.
higher order attribute grammars? Also AGs compute
the time and place where to transform, although they should be
restricted to trees. There is work from D. Swierstra, M. Jourdan, and
J. Grosch on that. Please look in the bib-servers.