Re: Choosing a language for compiler design

sestoft@ellemose.dina.kvl.dk (Peter Sestoft)
18 Oct 1996 00:03:16 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Choosing a language for compiler design pjmlp@students.si.fct.unl.pt (1996-10-16)
Re: Choosing a language for compiler design sestoft@ellemose.dina.kvl.dk (1996-10-18)
Re: Choosing a language for compiler design torbenm@diku.dk (1996-10-18)
Re: Choosing a language for compiler design ukcwitd@cambridge.simoco.com (Tim Wilson 6093) (1996-10-18)
Re: Choosing a language for compiler design icedancer@ibm.net (1996-10-18)
Re: Choosing a language for compiler design bmd@cs.kuleuven.ac.be (Bart Demoen) (1996-10-20)
Re: Choosing a language for compiler design jsa@alexandria.organon.com (1996-10-20)

From: sestoft@ellemose.dina.kvl.dk (Peter Sestoft)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 18 Oct 1996 00:03:16 -0400

> Now that I have an Yacc/Lex files for Oberon, I face the problem of
> choosing a language for its implementation.
> I have versions of Yacc/Lex for C, C++, Turbo Pascal and Ada.
> There are several issues regarding the choosen language

[discussion follows]

Our distinguished moderator added this comment:

> [Depends what your goals are. If it's maximum portability, write it in C.
> If you want to get it working quickly, write it in Lisp. -John]

(Standard) ML is another language for implementing a compiler fast.
It offers algebraic datatypes and polymorphic typechecking, so you'll
have to suffer neither the C `segmentation fault' nor the Lisp `cannot
take car of nil' messages.

In fact, one guy teaching compiler construction objected to the use of
ML in his course on the grounds that it would make the project too
easy.

The Standard ML of New Jersey, Caml Light, and Moscow ML systems come
with versions of lex and yacc.

Peter
--
Department of Mathematics and Physics * http://www.dina.kvl.dk/~sestoft/
Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University * Tel +45 3528 2334