Re: Type Inference Systems?

Bruce McAdam <bjm@dcs.ed.ac.uk>
16 Oct 1996 17:54:05 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Type Inference Systems? sullivan@indra.com (1996-10-10)
Re: Type Inference Systems? salomon@silver.cs.umanitoba.ca (1996-10-12)
Re: Type Inference Systems? dinkla@cs.uni-bonn.de (Joern Dinkla) (1996-10-12)
Re: Type Inference Systems? weidmann@papaya.logica.com (1996-10-12)
Re: Type Inference Systems? dimock@deas.harvard.edu (1996-10-16)
Re: Type Inference Systems? bjm@dcs.ed.ac.uk (Bruce McAdam) (1996-10-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Bruce McAdam <bjm@dcs.ed.ac.uk>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 16 Oct 1996 17:54:05 -0400

Steve Sullivan wrote:
> I'm interested in type inference systems, like Robin Milner's
> system for ML.

> - any references on type inference that (hopefully)
> don't require a huge background in type theory.
> I have Milner's 1978 paper and a few others ...
> unfortunately they all are pretty theoretical.

A good introductory one is:
    Damas and Milner. Principal type-schemes for functional programs.
    9th Annual Symopsium on Principles of Programming Languages, 1982
it covers the distinction between types and schemes and gives
the algorithm W.

The best place to see inside an inference system is
the ML-Kit (an ML interpreter written in ML). You can
get copies from
          ftp://ftp.lfcs.ed.ac.uk/pub/ml/mlkit/
    or ftp://ftp.diku.dk/diku/users/birkedal/

Bruce J. McAdam
Computer Science Undergraduate
The University of Edinburgh
bjm@dcs.ed.ac.uk http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/bjm/