Re: Type Inference Systems?

salomon@silver.cs.umanitoba.ca (Daniel J. Salomon)
12 Oct 1996 22:10:08 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Type Inference Systems? sullivan@indra.com (1996-10-10)
Re: Type Inference Systems? salomon@silver.cs.umanitoba.ca (1996-10-12)
Re: Type Inference Systems? dinkla@cs.uni-bonn.de (Joern Dinkla) (1996-10-12)
Re: Type Inference Systems? weidmann@papaya.logica.com (1996-10-12)
Re: Type Inference Systems? dimock@deas.harvard.edu (1996-10-16)
Re: Type Inference Systems? bjm@dcs.ed.ac.uk (Bruce McAdam) (1996-10-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: salomon@silver.cs.umanitoba.ca (Daniel J. Salomon)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 12 Oct 1996 22:10:08 -0400

Steve Sullivan <sullivan@indra.com> wrote:
|> I'm interested in type inference systems, like Robin Milner's
|> system for ML. Can you recommend:
|>
|> - any intro books or articles on type theory
|>
|> - any references on type inference that (hopefully)
|> don't require a huge background in type theory.

Chapter 6 of the red-dragon book, "Compilers: Principles, Techniques
and Tools," by Aho, Sethi, and Ullman, covers type checking, and ends
off with a couple of sections on type inference from an implementors
point of view. The examples are drawn almost exclusively from ML.
I believe that all the background that you need to read that chapter,
such as attribute grammars, is covered elsewhere in the same book.
Nevertheless the chapter is not that easy to read. You may have to
read the relevant sections from front to back a couple of times to
fully understand the message (I had to anyway.)

--
Daniel J. Salomon -- salomon@cs.UManitoba.CA
              Dept. of Computer Science / University of Manitoba