Re: Debugging Theory

Jeremy Carroll <>
25 Sep 1996 21:09:26 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
[3 earlier articles]
Re: Debugging Theory sol! (1996-09-19)
Re: Debugging Theory (John Robbins) (1996-09-19)
Re: Debugging Theory (Hans Huttel) (1996-09-22)
Re: Debugging Theory (1996-09-22)
Re: Debugging Theory (1996-09-23)
Re: Debugging Theory (Jeremy Carroll) (1996-09-25)
Re: Debugging Theory (1996-09-25)
Re: Debugging Theory (1996-09-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Jeremy Carroll <>
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.compilers
Date: 25 Sep 1996 21:09:26 -0400

I followed the web pointer:

My general feeling was that the papers looked a little like how-to-s
without insight into the task of debugging that is essentially a human

I particularly liked:
Marc Eisenstadt "Tales of debugging from the front lines"

which while at a how-to level was a bit dated (it's main advice being
to use Purify that was new when the paper was written) gave nice
insight into what makes some bugs hard.

I also found:

Marc Eisenstadt "Why HyperTalk Debugging is More Painful than it Ought
To Be"

Hiralal Agrawal "Towards Automatic Debugging of Computer Programs" , PhD

which both struck me as trying of offer some real insight into what
debugging is rather than simply a 'I wrote a debugger for X and this
is how I did it'

Any other offers of similar papers?

Jeremy Carroll
Hewlett Packard Labs VoiceMail +44 117 922 9051 (Telnet 312 9051)
Bristol tel/fax. +39 586 89 03 55