Re: Debugging Theory

Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
25 Sep 1996 21:09:26 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Re: Debugging Theory sol!ikastan@uunet.uu.net (1996-09-19)
Re: Debugging Theory johnr@numega.com (John Robbins) (1996-09-19)
Re: Debugging Theory hans@iesd.auc.dk (Hans Huttel) (1996-09-22)
Re: Debugging Theory ikastan@alumnae.caltech.edu (1996-09-22)
Re: Debugging Theory rtf@world.std.com (1996-09-23)
Re: Debugging Theory jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com (Jeremy Carroll) (1996-09-25)
Re: Debugging Theory agramesh@sedona.intel.com (1996-09-25)
Re: Debugging Theory mosh@karp.cs.albany.edu (1996-09-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.compilers
Date: 25 Sep 1996 21:09:26 -0400

I followed the web pointer:

http://www.cs.nmsu.edu/~mikau/aadebug.html

My general feeling was that the papers looked a little like how-to-s
without insight into the task of debugging that is essentially a human
task.

I particularly liked:
Marc Eisenstadt "Tales of debugging from the front lines"
ftp://hcrl.open.ac.uk/pub/documents/Eisenstadt-DebugTales-ESP5.ps.Z

which while at a how-to level was a bit dated (it's main advice being
to use Purify that was new when the paper was written) gave nice
insight into what makes some bugs hard.

I also found:

Marc Eisenstadt "Why HyperTalk Debugging is More Painful than it Ought
To Be"
ftp://hcrl.open.ac.uk/pub/documents/Eisenstadt-HTalkDebug-HCI93.ps.Z

Hiralal Agrawal "Towards Automatic Debugging of Computer Programs" , PhD
thesis
ftp://ftp.cs.purdue.edu/pub/serc/tech-reports/By-Project/debugger/TR103P.PS.Z

which both struck me as trying of offer some real insight into what
debugging is rather than simply a 'I wrote a debugger for X and this
is how I did it'

Any other offers of similar papers?

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Carroll jjc@hpl.hp.com
Hewlett Packard Labs VoiceMail +44 117 922 9051 (Telnet 312 9051)