Re: Extracting call graphs (Re: Show functions in obj files?)

null@diku.dk (Niels Ull Jacobsen)
23 Sep 1996 21:20:06 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Show functions in obj files? schroeder@ifn.ing.tu-bs.de (Dietmar Schroeder) (1996-08-30)
Re: Show functions in obj files? rfg@monkeys.com (1996-09-15)
Extracting call graphs (Re: Show functions in obj files?) emcmanus@gr.osf.org (Eamonn McManus) (1996-09-22)
Re: Extracting call graphs (Re: Show functions in obj files?) null@diku.dk (1996-09-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: null@diku.dk (Niels Ull Jacobsen)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 23 Sep 1996 21:20:06 -0400

rfg@monkeys.com (Ronald F. Guilmette) wrote:
> On the other hand, if you want a _call graph_ of your C code (which I suspect
> that you do, given that fact that you said that you want a list of functions
> that are ``used'') then there ought to be _some_ tool out there somewhere
> which will do that for you, ...

I have written a small awk-script which will take the output from
cxref and generate and xvcg graph description file. It's not very
pretty, but if anyone is interested, I can mail it to them.

I weren't very succesful with it, however. For my program, the call
graph got very large and complex and not very useful. I could probably
have hand-edited it a bit to remove the most commonly called utility
functions to get a nicer picture, but I decided it wasn't worth the
effort.
--
      Niels Ull Jacobsen, Dep. of CS, U of Copenhagen (null@diku.dk)
      Roenne Alle 3 st.th, 2860 Soeborg, Denmark, tel. +45 39 66 39 86