code transformations?

lord@emf.net (Tom Lord)
22 Sep 1996 17:25:21 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
code transformations? lord@emf.net (1996-09-22)
Re: code transformations? null@diku.dk (1996-09-23)
Re: code transformations? cef@geodesic.com (Charles Fiterman) (1996-09-23)
Re: code transformations? ma@camcon.co.uk (1996-09-25)
Re: code transformations? darius@phidani.be (Darius Blasband) (1996-09-26)
Re: code transformations? meulenbr@prl.philips.nl (1996-09-26)
Re: code transformations? albaugh@agames.com (1996-09-26)

From: lord@emf.net (Tom Lord)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 22 Sep 1996 17:25:21 -0400

Some time ago, somebody suggested to me the idea of writing a certain
kind of C preprocessor. The gist of it was that the preprocessor
would actually parse the program, make some changes to the AST and
then write source back to disk. This got me to thinking -- suitably
sophisticated transformations could preserve the semantics of the
program, while completely disguising the text of the source. This has
obvious implications for anyone into intellectual property theft.

So the question is, has anybody written such a program? Will anyone?
Would releasing such a program on the net be like the SATAN of IP?
[There are certainly C obfuscators, but the ones I know of perform primarily
lexical smooshing. -John]