Re: Debugging Theory

"John Robbins" <>
19 Sep 1996 00:18:41 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Debugging Theory (1996-09-15)
Re: Debugging Theory (1996-09-16)
Re: Debugging Theory (1996-09-17)
Re: Debugging Theory sol! (1996-09-19)
Re: Debugging Theory (John Robbins) (1996-09-19)
Re: Debugging Theory (Hans Huttel) (1996-09-22)
Re: Debugging Theory (1996-09-22)
Re: Debugging Theory (1996-09-23)
Re: Debugging Theory (Jeremy Carroll) (1996-09-25)
Re: Debugging Theory (1996-09-25)
[1 later articles]
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "John Robbins" <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 19 Sep 1996 00:18:41 -0400

> This is an incredible situation. There is no theory, no NOTHING in
> this area.

You might want to try the following WEB page:

I has a little bit, but like you, I am amazed that more people are not
looking at debuggers.

> I'm writing a debugger now, and it is incredible how little has
> been written in this area!

Trust me, I know. I write Windows95 and Windows NT debuggers for a
living (best, and only, way to make a living!) My collegues and I
have asked everyone we know to let us know who is doing any
interesting research. Because it is such a black art, we joke that we
will let you in on the secret but only if we like you! Most of what
we've figured out is through sheer brute force. I wish you well on
your project.

I am more than willing to collect and diseminate any debugger research
or debugger information that people would like to send me. (No
commercial stuff, please). If I get enough stuff (more than one
contribution??) I can put it up on my company's WEB page.

John Robbins NuMega Technolgies, Inc.
9 Townsend West
Nashua, NH 03061