Re: yacc/lex and precompiler statements

Scott Stanchfield <scooter@mccabe.com>
17 Sep 1996 22:12:53 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
yacc/lex and precompiler statements riemsdijk@tailor.nl (Waldo van Riemsdijk) (1996-09-17)
Re: yacc/lex and precompiler statements scooter@mccabe.com (Scott Stanchfield) (1996-09-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Scott Stanchfield <scooter@mccabe.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.compilers.tools.pccts
Date: 17 Sep 1996 22:12:53 -0400

If I remember correctly, VOS doesn't allow you to reuse keywords as
idents, right? (Our Pascal parser recognizes VOS Pascal as one of its
dialects.)

If the above statement is true, I'd suggest taking a simpler approach
for your pretty-printer: forget a full parser, and just do it with a
simple scanner.

First, you need to keep track of whether you are in comments or strings,
then, if you're not in either and get a keyword like BEGIN, increase
indentation, END would decrease it and so forth.

You could then implement a simple stack for the $IF...$ELSE...$ENDIF
conditionals.

Good luck!
Scott

--
Scott Stanchfield McCabe & Associates -- Columbia, Maryland