Re: Debugging Theory (Dr. Richard Botting)
16 Sep 1996 14:43:29 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Debugging Theory (1996-09-15)
Re: Debugging Theory (1996-09-16)
Re: Debugging Theory (1996-09-17)
Re: Debugging Theory sol! (1996-09-19)
Re: Debugging Theory (John Robbins) (1996-09-19)
Re: Debugging Theory (Hans Huttel) (1996-09-22)
Re: Debugging Theory (1996-09-22)
[4 later articles]
| List of all articles for this month |

From: (Dr. Richard Botting)
Newsgroups: comp.theory,comp.compilers
Date: 16 Sep 1996 14:43:29 -0400

Ranan Fraer ( wrote:
: can anyone please recommend me some good books/papers on debugging theory ?
: Actually what I'm looking for is a classification of various techniques
: of detection, localisation and correction of bugs.

There was an excellent little Macdonald/Elsevier Monograph
on Debugging Techniques published in the middle 1970's.

I can't say I've seen any theoretical work on debugging.
Testing yes. I'd also be interested in anything
in this area.

I am, at this moment, working on a stochastic model of an immature debugging
process, but it will not be enough for a book. Certainly a
short paper. If I get lucky something more. But not a book.
It shows that diagnostic skills and repair skills have to be high
if debugging isn't going to be slow and painful... surprise:-)

dick botting
Copyright(1996): Copy freely but say where it came from.
I have nothing to sell, and I'm giving it away.
[W. Lewis Johnson's 1985 Yale PhD thesis looked at automated bug
classification, but I don't think he did much more with that. -John]