Re: Looking for intro books

dmoisan@shore.net (David Moisan)
6 Sep 1996 22:26:24 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Looking for intro books djacic@mef.hr (1996-09-05)
Re: Looking for intro books dmoisan@shore.net (1996-09-06)
Re: Looking for intro books c_pew@MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU (Curtis Pew) (1996-09-06)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: dmoisan@shore.net (David Moisan)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 6 Sep 1996 22:26:24 -0400

djacic@mef.hr (Dejan Jacic) wrote:

> 1) "Compilers - Principles, Techniques and Tools"
> by Alfred V. Aho, Ravi Sethi & Jeffrey D. Ullman

I read both this book and Aho's earlier "Principles of Compiler
Design" and still own the former; I found this book much more
understandable than the earlier "Principles". My problem with Aho is
that he used too much math jargon in the earlier text (and also in his
algorithms text "Design and Analysis of Computer Algorithms" IIRC,
which I could not follow *at all* as an undergrad some 10 years ago.)

However, on a second reading a few months ago, I found this text
("Compilers--Principles, Techniques and Tools") much easier to go
through. It's an improvement over the earlier Dragon Book,
definitely, although I suspect I simply have more background to
understand the subject than I did years ago.

The other complier text I have is "Compilers: Their Design and
Construction Using Pascal", Robin Hunter, 1985, Wiley. I'm not sure
if this is still in print. Very readable introduction to the subject,
though it doesn't have the detail of the Dragon Book. It explained
regular expressions and grammars very well for me, subjects I had to
work hard at understanding with their confusing array of arrows and
Greek letters.

Dave

| David Moisan, N1KGH Email: dmoisan@shore.net |
| WWW: http://www.shore.net/~dmoisan n1kgh@amsat.org |