Re: Show functions in obj files?

Daniel Villeneuve <danielv@CRT.UMontreal.CA>
31 Aug 1996 22:50:14 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Show functions in obj files? (Dietmar Schroeder) (1996-08-30)
Re: Show functions in obj files? danielv@CRT.UMontreal.CA (Daniel Villeneuve) (1996-08-31)
Re: Show functions in obj files? (1996-09-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Daniel Villeneuve <danielv@CRT.UMontreal.CA>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 31 Aug 1996 22:50:14 -0400

Dietmar Schroeder <> writes:

> we are looking for a tool that could display all functions used in a
> c-program by examinating the gcc compiled obj files (inc. debug info).

Perhaps you can use `nm' (on our system `/bin/nm'), that lists all the
external references of a particular obj file. It works on libraries
and executables too.

[Seems to me the trick is to try and guess what functions are actually used,
e.g. estimate which chunks of which file are what function, then do a
transitive closure, and wave hands like crazy to account for function
pointers. -John]