Re: HP-UX Disassembler

Marovich@hplms2.hpl.hp.com (Scott Marovich)
24 Aug 1996 21:34:02 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
HP-UX Disassembler matt@landlub.ucsd.edu (Matt Sienko) (1996-08-15)
Re: HP-UX Disassembler baynes@ukpsshp1.serigate.philips.nl (1996-08-19)
Re: HP-UX Disassembler rowan@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu (1996-08-20)
Re: HP-UX Disassembler Marovich@hplms2.hpl.hp.com (1996-08-24)
Re: HP-UX Disassembler gerdb@bbn.hp.com (1996-08-28)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Marovich@hplms2.hpl.hp.com (Scott Marovich)
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.unix.questions,comp.unix.programmer
Date: 24 Aug 1996 21:34:02 -0400

Matt Sienko (matt@landlub.ucsd.edu) wrote:
>I'm looking for a disassembler that will disasemble object code produced
>by the cc C compiler. I'm running it on an HP9000 j210 with a PA-RISC

I agree with Stephen Baynes reply that the quickest and easiest way is to
use "adb(1)" or "xdb(1)", preferably applying them to a fully-linked,
executable binary program using archive--not shared--libraries, containing
the code of interest. The reason for these "caveats" is that code in a ".o"
file naturally requires relocation, so an "adb(1)"/"xdb(1)" dump of the
latter will display less information than you might like. Moreover, we now
perform certain code optimizations at link-time. It is possible in
principle to decode our object-module format, but extracting the relocation
information in order to display external references symbolically is fairly
painful. If you have access to the "C" source code of interest, you could
also compile it using "cc -S ... ".

--
Scott Marovich Hewlett-Packard Laboratories M/S 1U15
Internet: marovich@hpl.hp.com P.O. Box 10490 (1501 Page Mill Road)