Re: Parsing Mathematical operations

Reto Koradi <>
24 Aug 1996 21:31:36 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Parsing Mathematical operations (1996-08-22)
Re: Parsing Mathematical operations (Reto Koradi) (1996-08-24)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Reto Koradi <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers,
Date: 24 Aug 1996 21:31:36 -0400

Rob Aspin wrote:
> I am tring to write an application which requires the parsing of a user
> defined mathematical operation, writen in standard mathematical
> notation, for both vector and scalar values, into a line of code.

Information about parsing methods can be found in books about compiler
construction. I don't know which books are currently considered to be the
best. When I learned about this some years ago, I liked "Crafting A
Compiler" by Fisher/LeBlanc (Benjamin/Cummings) most. Many people consider
the dragon book by Aho et al. to be the standard, but unless there was a
thorougly revised version recently I wouldn't recommend it that much, looked
quite outdated.

If you prefer a less heavy-weight book, the one by Wirth isn't bad
Reto Koradi (,
[There's a list of reviews of intro compiler books in the FAQ. -John]