Re: Simula to C++ translator

"stanley (s.t.h.) chow" <>
16 Aug 1996 11:35:01 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Simula to C++ translator (1996-08-15)
Re: Simula to C++ translator (1996-08-16)
Re: Simula to C++ translator (stanley (s.t.h.) chow) (1996-08-16)
Re: Simula to C++ translator (Peter Brueckner) (1996-08-19)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: "stanley (s.t.h.) chow" <>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 16 Aug 1996 11:35:01 -0400

<> wrote:
>I am presently trying to find the best way to migrate a large system
>written mainly in Simula from an old and soon unsupported platform to
>a new platform. As part of the migration, the Simula code must be
>translated to C++. The resulting C++ code must be fairly C++-ish, as
>it will form the basis of future maintenance and development of the

This I imagine to be pretty hard.

>As I see it, there are several ways to do this:
>3) Construct a translator tool. This could either be specific to the needs of
> this particular system, a full compiler with a strange output language, or
> something in between. A full compiler is, of course, the most exciting
> choice.

and 4) get a Simula compiler for your new platform.

Depending on the size of your system, it may well be worthwhile building
your own compiler if you can't buy one. I would guess the break even
point to be somewhere around 5 million lines of code. If you figure in
the retraining and conversion code, and happen to find a good cheap
compiler, the break even could be as low as a 100K LOC.

>The translator must run in OS/2, NT or UNIX.

I am pretty sure I saw Simula compilers advertized for all of the above

Stanley Chow;,; (613) 763-2831
Bell Northern Research Ltd., PO Box 3511 Station C, Ottawa, Ontario