|best choice for intermediate language? firstname.lastname@example.org (Ralph Boland) (1996-08-09)|
|From:||Ralph Boland <email@example.com>|
|Date:||9 Aug 1996 14:05:50 -0400|
|Organization:||Department of Computer Science, University of Ottawa|
I would like opinions on what is the best choice for an
intermediate language to compile a high level language into.
Ideally this intermediate language would have the following characteristics:
1) Be machine independant but low level enough that language features can be
2) Have available interpreters of the IL.
3) Have available good compilers and optimizing compilers of the IL.
4) Be available on a wide veriety of machines and operating systems.
5) Be low cost, preferably free. (I'm a member of the poor graduate student social class).
6) The more source code available the better.
7) I need there to be a computed goto instruction. i.e. X := value;
The languages that I will be dealing with will be object oriented so it would
be helpful if features such as method lookup are supported though this is not
an absolute necessity.
Thanks in advance for any help provided.
[I'd use C. -John]
Return to the
Search the comp.compilers archives again.