Re: Smart textual editors

<balaji@platinum.com>
1 Aug 1996 15:05:55 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Re: Smart textual editors mihai@west.net (Mihai Christodorescu) (1996-07-23)
Re: Smart textual editors peach@entrenet.com (1996-07-24)
Re: Smart textual editors darius@phidani.be (Darius Blasband) (1996-07-24)
Re: Smart textual editors pc@linus.mitre.org (1996-07-26)
Re: Smart textual editors yuval.peduel@channel1.com (1996-07-26)
Re: Smart textual editors bdynin@movil.com (1996-07-26)
Re: Smart textual editors balaji@platinum.com (1996-08-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: <balaji@platinum.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 1 Aug 1996 15:05:55 -0400

bdynin@movil.com wrote:

> I use Visual C++ extensively and I'm happy with its syntax sensitive
> functionality. ( With a few exceptions: for example, I would like source
> code inside "#if 0 ... endif" to be displayed dimmed or something. )
>
> However, I feel that I could use better class browser than Visual C++ has.
> I would like IDE not only to generate class inheritance graphs but also to
> display ER-diagrams and usage, containment, instantiation relationships( in
> terms of Booch approach ). When you analize other people's source code such
> a browser could be very useful. I would greatly appreciate if somebody
> could point me to such a tool in PC ( NT ) environment.

If I am correct the latest edition of Borland C++ is supposed to do this.
It includes an ER modeller and probably supports OMT also. IMO that is the
gradual evolution of language DE and this might get more tighter in the
future.

A good browser might be one from ACI-US called ObjectCenter or like.
http://www.acius.com

It can read Microsoft browser format files and show more information than
VC++ does.
--
;-Balaji Srinivasa - Platinum Technology/Aston-Brooke Lab - balaji@platinum.com