Re: Translator: Motorola 68K ASM source to Intel X86 ASM source

Giuliano Carlini <giuliano@ix.netcom.com>
24 Jul 1996 22:49:10 -0400

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Translator: Motorola 68K ASM source to Intel X86 ASM source mevans1027@aol.com (1996-07-23)
Re: Translator: Motorola 68K ASM source to Intel X86 ASM source giuliano@ix.netcom.com (Giuliano Carlini) (1996-07-24)
Re: Translator: Motorola 68K ASM source to Intel X86 ASM source cdg@nullstone.com (Christopher Glaeser) (1996-08-16)
| List of all articles for this month |

From: Giuliano Carlini <giuliano@ix.netcom.com>
Newsgroups: comp.compilers
Date: 24 Jul 1996 22:49:10 -0400

MEvans1027 wrote:

> Does anyone know of a program that reads lines of Motorola 68K ASM
> source code and converts them to lines of Intel X86 ASM source code? There
> is a need for this by users of Motorola systems that want to switch an
> application over to an Intel PC.
> MEvans1027@aol.com
> [I doubt you'll find anything. The 68K and x86 have rather different
> register models, not to mention different endian-ness, so translation is
> not straightforward, even by humans. -John]

I don't know if you'll find anything that does 68K to x86, but
I'm pretty ure it's doable. You can check out DEC's work that translates
VAX to Alpha and that translates x86 to Alpha on the fly.

[It's certainly doable at some level of performance. VAX to Alpha works
well because the Alpha deliberately uses the same data formats as the VAX.
x86 to Alpha also benefits from similar data formats. But not 68K to x86.
-John]